Wednesday 6 February 2013

silver linings playbook by matthew quick // book review.

After watching the film of this book, I was quite interested as I had heard the book was much better and so when I received the book as a christmas present from a friend, I was overjoyed!


I'll be honest, this book was slightly disappointing for me. After watching the film, I knew what was coming up and even though a lot of the book didn't make it to the film and the story line was altered, I found it to be slightly boring.

The plot says:

"Pat Peoples knows that life doesn't always go according to plan, but he’s determined to get his back on track. After a stint in a psychiatric hospital, Pat is staying with his parents and trying to live according to his new philosophy: get fit, be nice and always look for the silver lining. Most importantly, Pat is determined to be reconciled with his wife Nikki. Pat’s parents just want to protect him so he can get back on his feet, but when Pat befriends the mysterious Tiffany, the secrets they've been keeping from him threaten to come out..."
I found the main character, Pat, to be extremely naive and almost childish which annoyed me. However, I did find the story line a lot better than in the film and I wish I didn't watch the film first as I know I would've found it more interesting as I wouldn't anticipate what was coming up next.

Honestly, nearly every book I've read since I had a sudden rush to read all of John Green's books haven't been all that good for me. For me, no author will ever top John Green and I hate to compare, but this book in comparison is quite dull. The language is pretty simplistic, the story line is predictable but quite interesting.

Throughout the book, I felt annoyed at Pat for not understanding simple things but I also felt sympathy for his childlike attitude.

I think this book is great if you like a romantic love story with a twist and don't mind it being borderline predictable.

Kayla x

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...